Friends of the West Highland Lines
The West Highland Lines, the Top Rail Journey in the World,
are Britain's railways of superlatives which can take you to the:
- Highest mountain in Britain (Ben Nevis)
- Largest loch in Britain (Loch Lomond)
- Longest loch in Britain (Loch Awe)
- Deepest loch in Britain (Loch Morar)
- Highest mainline railway station in Britain (Corrour)
- Most westerly station in Britain (Arisaig)
- Gateway to the Hebridean Islands at Oban
- Britain's Outdoor Capital at Fort William
The West Highland Lines are world class railways making a major contribution to accessibility for residents, tourists and freight in this uniquely beautiful part of Scotland. ScotRail trains link the West Highlands with Glasgow where there are connections with trains to the rest of Britain. There is also an overnight Caledonian Sleeper linking Fort William and intermediate West Highland stations with London.
This website gives an introduction to the line, with pictures of the spectacular scenery brought to you by award-winning photographer Norman McNab, and others as attributed.
The latest developments are highlighted in the News Section
Download our "Tourism and Trains" pamphlet to see the full potential of the West Highland Lines for tourism in Scotland.
A set of four souvenir colour postcards featuring some of the photographs on this website is on sale from Glenfinnan Station Museum,